The importance of the "local development" project lies in motivating municipalities to implement and manage projects that reflect their needs and the nature of the areas they are involved, as well as contributing to the preparation of administrative decentralization.
The projects have been implemented according to the financial agreement that sponsors each one of them. The goal of implementing such projects has been achieved, but the broader one remains to improve the economic and social level in the communities concerned by creating new jobs that are supposed to be secured when the actual work of these projects begins.
The future need to work with these communities on the institutionalization of local development offices which have been rehabilitated without reaching an administrative or legal formula, ensures their continuity to the administration and not only for these projects but also to attract future ones and engage with donors towards this end. In addition, these offices should recruit experts who must be thinkers and contributors to the development of an action plan around which all local partners bring together and reflect the actual development needs that are necessary for all our gatherings and local communities.
Projects completed or in the process of completion 2010-2012:
• Bent Jbeil: agricultural services centre project cost 1,071,497 euros.
• The rural tourism project in the Apple region cost 810,856,00 euros and includes:
o Restoration of an archaeological olive press in Tyreeh.
o Rehabilitation of the Turkish bath in the Area of Jabaa.
o Construction of the guest house project in Arabsalim.
o Rehabilitation of water springs in the assembly villages.
• Haut Shouf: An environmental tourism project costing 677,232.60 euros and includes:
o Construction of 3 artificial ponds in the areas of Neha and Al-Kharba.
o Construction of guest houses in contemporary areas, Buran and Khriba (20 units).
• Al-Shouf Al-Suwayjani: A tourism project at a cost of 678,866.00 euros:
o Rehabilitation of a tourist route connecting the assembly villages.
o Restoration of the archaeological souk of Baaqlin.
o Restoration of public squares.
o Rehabilitation of the Baakline forest and the establishment of a guest house.
o A study reflecting the environmental impact of The Suijani Palace.
o Baakline Forest House ( and rehabilitation of the forest)
• Aley: A tourist project costing 462,420,00 euros and includes:
o Rehabilitation of a country park and making it a meeting place and social interaction.
o Rehabilitation of water sources in the region.
o The establishment of a local development office.
• Haut Metn: A tourism project costing 502,676,00 euros and includes:
o The establishment of an artificial lake in the Tarshish area.
o Rehabilitation of public squares in various villages of the assembly.
o Rehabilitation of a tourist route and the establishment of a center in ras al-Matin Forest to manage ecotourism.
• Kesrawan: The heritage return project cost 624,696.00 euros and includes:
o Rehabilitation of model villages in Valley of the Cross (in addition to the milland archaeological bridge).
o Rehabilitation of a tourist route in the Area of Daroun and The Valley of the Cross.
o Rehabilitation of a tourist orientation and guidance center in the Rivon area.
o Rehabilitation of Rayfoun Touristic and Orientation Center
• The valley: (Western Bekaa) a tourism project costing 751,491,00 euros focused on creating jobs through the following tourism activities:
o Create a tourist orientation center in “Aamiq”
o Rehabilitation of the public square in Mansoura.
o Rehabilitation of the popular market and the municipal park in Ghaza.
o Qualifying the popular markets in Al-Suwayri and Al-Marj.
o The establishment of a center for tourists in the area of Kamed Al Laouz and Al Manara.
o The establishment of an exhibition park in Houch El Harimeh.
o The establishment of guest houses and a reception center in "Sultan Yaacoub".
• Juma Akkar: A tourism project costing 483,219,00 euros and centred around:
o Rehabilitation of water sources in the region.
o Construction of water tanks and watchtowers (against fires).
o Rehabilitation of tourist routes.
o Rehabilitation of a tourist orientation and guidance center.
• Zgharta: An environmental tourism project costing 973,110,00 euros and includes:
o The establishment of a tourist tower and a tourist information center in The Ardeh area.
o Rehabilitation of public squares in The Seraal area.
o The establishment of a tourist orientation and guidance center in Ehden.
o The establishment of a guest house in The Ehden area.
o Signs reflecting the sights of the route.
• Hermel: The establishment of an agricultural services center costing 650,415,00 euros and includes:
o Construction and processing of an agricultural refrigerator, as well as the establishment of an olive press and a project management unit and guidance for agricultural cooperatives.
• Jezzine: An environmental tourism project costing 973,110,00 euros and includes:
o Restoration of the Heritage Market of Jezzine.
o Rehabilitation of the riverbed to the waterfall.
o The establishment of the "Forest House" in the Bkassine area includes a permanent exhibition of local products, a nursery and a training hall dealing with environmental matters.
o Rehabilitation of a tourist route that includes the restoration of 9 tourist areas and connects the village gatherings.
o Bkassine Forest:selling local products and a centre for ecotourism (www.lamaisondelaforet.net):
o Rehabilitation of the Public Market (Souk)
• Iqlim el Touffah: Rural tourism project Cost 808,746.51Euros , It includes:
o A guest house project in Arabsalim (Model village)
o Restoration of an olive press as a heritage landmark in Sarba
o Rehabilitation of the Turkish bath in Jabaa
o Rehabilitation of water springs in the villages of the cluster –
• All projects were completed in mid-2012 and we are preparing the preliminary receipt and the final and financial reports.
Source of funding
• The European Union.
• 9,075,000 euros
Conditions for success
• The ability of municipal communities to manage these projects to ensure their sustainability.